Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Wow-Moment

Sometimes, when you read, your mind begins to race ahead. To fill in the blanks. You begin to search for where the story is going.

A sign of good writing is when the author can make the reader think they know what's going to happen, but then to quickly switch gears. Catch the reader by surprise. This is what I call a "wow-moment".

The following excerpt is actually from a non-fiction book by Max Lucado. I wouldn't normally classify non-fiction (especially this type of non-fiction) as having wow-moments. But after all, Lucado is a storyteller. And this part of the book is indeed telling a story.

I was reading this book aloud to my grandmother. I didn't expect the wow-moment. (Hey, this is non-fiction, remember?) So, it really did take me by surprise...
Once, in a dream, I encountered a man who was wearing a fedora and a corduroy coat. He was the classroom version of Indiana Jones: distinguished, professorial, strong jawed, and kind eyed. He frequented funerals. Apparently I did as well, for the dream consisted of one memorial after another--at funeral homes, chapels, gravesides. He never removed his hat. I never asked him why he wore it, but I did ask him to explain his proverbial presence at interments.

"I come to take people to their eternal home." ... I didn't think it odd to see the fedora at funerals. But I did think it strange to run into the man on a crowded street.

Think Thanksgiving Day parade or Fourth of July festival. A people-packed avenue. "I'm surprised to see you here," I told him. He didn't reply.

I saw one of my friends standing nearby. A good man, a widower, up in years, poor in health. Suddenly I understood the presence of the fedora-clad angel.

"You've come for my friend."

"No."

Then the dream did what only dreams can do. It dismissed everyone but the visitor and me. The crowded sidewalk became a quiet boulevard, so quiet I couldn't mistake his next words.

"Max, I came for you."

[Lucado, Max. Fearless (2009), pp.115-6.]

No comments:

Post a Comment